Aspyr Mac FAQs: BioShock Infinite
BioShock Infinite is officially coming to the Mac on August 29! But we know you probably still have questions, so we’ve put together an informative FAQ below to help you out. Still have questions? Leave them in the comments, and we’ll get them answered ASAP!
Q: When will BioShock Infinite be released on the Mac?
BioShock Infinite is set to launch on the Mac on August 29, 2013. BioShock Infinite is now available on the Mac!
Q: Will BioShock Infinite for Mac be available through the Mac App Store?
Yes! BioShock Infinite for Mac will launch on both the Steam and Mac App platforms on August 29. Both versions will be nearly identical in the content and features offered.
Q: How much does BioShock Infinite for Mac cost? Where can I purchase it?
BioShock Infinite for Mac will be priced the same as on the PC, which is currently $39.99/€36.99/£29.99. Customers may purchase the game directly from Steam or the Mac App Store. Additionally, customers may purchase an online game code, redeemable via Steam, from the GameAgent Store and other participating Mac game retailers. By purchasing the game directly from GameAgent, users will also get access to the Columbia’s Finest DLC at no extra cost.
Additionally, GameAgent members are encouraged to log in before purchasing to find to a special coupon code on the product page good for 20% off their pre-order! (Please note that pre-orders and the pre-order bonus DLC are for the Steam version only.) Update: The 20%-off pre-order offer has ended.
Pre-orders are not available on the Mac App Store due to limitations on the store itself.
Q: Will BioShock Infinite for Mac support Steam Play?
Yes! Purchasing the Steam version of the game on the Mac will also give you access to the PC version at no extra charge (and vice versa).
This will NOT work for copies of the game purchased on the Mac App Store. (Please note that any copy of the game purchased outside the Mac App Store will give you the “Steam version.”)
Q: Will any of the BioShock Infinite DLC content be available at launch for the Mac?
Yes! The Columbia’s Finest DLC Pack is available at launch for the Mac on Steam for $4.99/€3.50/£2.99. This add-on content includes: 500 Silver Eagles (in-game currency), 5 Lock Picks to help you navigate through Columbia, six unique Gear items, and two weapon upgrades: Comstock’s China Broom Shotgun and Comstock’s Eagle Eye Sniper Rifle. And as noted above, users that purchase BioShock Infinite for Mac from GameAgent will receive the Columbia’s Finest DLC Pack for free! This DLC content will be made available on the Mac App Store later this year.
Additionally, the Clash in the Clouds DLC will be available on September 12 for the Mac on Steam; a Mac App Store release date for Clash in the Clouds has not yet been determined (additional info on Clash in the Clouds for Mac coming soon).
All BioShock Infinite Mac DLC purchased for the Steam version will also support Steam Play like the base game. Aspyr will be supporting any future DLC content as it becomes available, including both parts of the Burial at Sea campaign DLC.
Q: Which BioShock Infinite DLC for the Mac is currently available?
The following BioShock Infinite DLC is now available on the Mac:
- Columbia’s Finest on Steam
- Clash in the Clouds on Steam and the Mac App Store
- Burial at Sea – Episode 1 on Steam and the Mac App Store
- Season Pass on Steam
Q: Will the BioShock Infinite Season Pass be available on the Mac?
Players will have the option to purchase the Season Pass on the Mac for the Steam version of BioShock Infinite only. Steam users can purchase the Season Pass from the Steam Store for $19.99/€19.99/£15.99. The Season Pass will give users access to three planned DLC packs, the first of which is the Clash in the Clouds DLC pack. The other two announced pieces of the Season Pass will be a two-part campaign DLC pack called Burial at Sea. The Columbia’s Finest DLC content is NOT part of the Season Pass.
Please note that some pieces of DLC included in the Season Pass may not be released on the Mac at the same time as the PC. Aspyr will work to release all DLC as close to the PC release date as possible.
The Season Pass is NOT available on the Mac App Store. Mac App players will have to purchase any DLC on an individual basis.
Q: Does BioShock Infinite for Mac feature multiplayer?
No; like on the PC, BioShock Infinite is a deep, compelling single-player experience on the Mac.
Q: What languages does BioShock Infinite for Mac support?
BioShock Infinite for Mac supports English, French, Italian, German, and Spanish. These languages are supported for both the Steam and Mac App Store versions of the game.
Q: Does BioShock Infinite for Mac feature gamepad support?
Yes, BioShock Infinite for Mac supports the Microsoft Xbox 360 wired gamepad as well as the PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller.
Q: What are the system requirements for BioShock Infinite Mac?
Below are the minimum system requirements for BioShock Infinite for Mac. We highly recommend logging into GameAgent and using our Mac Match feature to automatically determine whether your Mac is supported or not.
Minimum System Requirements
Operating System: 10.8.4 (Mountain Lion)
CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 30 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 3870
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 640M
Video Memory (VRam): 512 MB
Peripherals: Macintosh mouse and keyboard
Supported Video Cards:
NVIDIA GeForce® 640M, 650M, 660M, 675MX, 680MX
ATI Radeon HD 3870, HD 4850, HD 5670, HD 5750, HD 5770, HD 5870, HD 6750, HD 6770, HD 6970
Intel HD Graphics 4000
Gamepad support: Bioshock Infinite supports both the Xbox 360 wired gamepad AND the PlayStation 3 Dualshock 3 Wireless Controller
Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client.
Internet Connection and acceptance of Steam™ Subscriber Agreement required for activation. See www.steampowered.com/agreement for details
NOTICE: The following video chipsets are unsupported for Bioshock Infinite:
• ATI RADEON HD 2000 Series
• ATI RADEON HD 4670
• ATI RADEON HD 6490M, 6630M
• NVIDIA 9000 Series
• NVIDIA 320M, 330M
• Intel HD 3000
• Intel Integrated GMA 950
• Intel Integrated x3100
NOTICE: This game is not supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive)
Q: Why can’t I increase the resolution beyond 1600×900?
BioShock Infinite is an intensely beautiful game and as such is quite a stress on the hardware. In order for us to be satisfied with the level of performance while keeping that beauty in the Mac version, we removed some resolutions that not even the current high-end iMacs could run.
That said, Aspyr is very excited about the updates being made to Open GL in OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and we continue to work on ways to optimize BioShock Infinite now before release, and certainly after release with the new toolsets available to us.
Update: Higher resolutions are now available with the recent update that was released to coincide with the launch of Burial at Sea – Episode 1.
Q: I’m having some technical difficulties with the game/my question wasn’t answered…
If you have general questions about the game not listed above, leave them in the comments below, and we’ll be happy to answer them.
Alternatively, if you’re having any kind of technical issues with the game, such as trouble with downloading, crashes, performance, etc, please contact Aspyr Support at http://support.aspyr.com or via email at email@example.com. They’ll be happy to help in any way they can!
BioShock Infinite: Clash in the Clouds
Q: What is Clash in the Clouds? How much does it cost?
Clash in the Clouds is the first add-on pack for BioShock Infinite, and it puts an intense focus on combat. Combine weapons, Vigors, Gear, Tears and Sky-Lines in ways you never thought possible as you square off against impossible odds. This pack features 60 challenges in 4 brand-new maps. Complete Blue Ribbon Challenges and unlock concept art, Voxophones, Kinetoscopes, and more in The Columbian Archeological Society.
Clash in the Clouds is free to users that have purchased the BioShock Infinite Season Pass and is $4.99/€3.50/£2.99 for everyone else.
Q: When will Clash in the Clouds be available on the Mac?
Clash in the Clouds for Mac is currently available on both Steam and the Mac App Store.
Q: How do I access Clash in the Clouds?
After launching BioShock Infinite and loading the main menu, select “Downloadable Content”. You will then be presented with an option to access Clash in the Clouds.
Q: What are the Blue Ribbon Challenges?
Each challenge is completely optional. Completing them will fill your coffers with cash and help you more quickly unlock upgrades and content. They’re also your best shot at earning a top spot on the Leaderboards.
Q: How many environments are there? How many waves?
There are four separate environments, each containing 15 unique challenge waves, for a total of 60 challenges.
Q: Can I adjust the difficulty within Clash in the Clouds?
BioShock Infinite’s developer, Irrational Games, designed these challenge levels to really test the skill and combat awareness for BioShock Infinite fans. The deeper into each map you go, the further difficulty will ramp up, culminating with Wave 15.
Q: What is The Armory?
After each challenge level, you will be teleported to The Armory. There, you can take your time to plan for the challenges in the next wave by changing your weapon and Vigor loadouts, and purchasing any upgrades. Each trip to The Armory automatically refills your health, ammo, and Salts, and you can jump back into the action by activating the available Tear located in The Armory.
Q: How many Vigors can I hold at once?
You are provided with four Vigors to start your quest, with the rest available for purchase in-between challenge levels in The Armory. All eight Vigors can eventually be acquired.
Q: How do I access the content within The Columbian Archeological Society?
After you’ve attempted at least one wave, The Columbian Archeological Society will open its doors for visitors. Inside, you’ll find a plethora of items to examine, such as character models, concept art, music, and more. Each item must be unlocked with cash earned from completing waves and Blue Ribbon Challenges.
Q: Are there ways to make more cash during a wave?
Yes. Cash bonuses are a way for you to be recognized and rewarded for skillfully and creatively disposing of your enemies. Whether you’re finishing foes in quick succession or using your environment to create devastating combos, it’s always better to push yourself beyond just running and gunning.
Q: I’m having trouble with Wave [X]. Do you have any tips?
We recommend conversing with other fans on the BioShock Infinite forums and sharing your best tips and tricks for completing a wave and working your way up the leaderboards.
Q: I’ve just died during a challenge wave. What are my options?
If you wish to insure yourself against death and avoid having to restart at Wave 1, you can purchase a “Resurrection” at one of Booker’s office doors. Simply find the door hidden somewhere in the map and pay the fee by using the Resurrection. After doing so, you will be entitled to resurrect once per purchase without forfeiting your score or restarting.
Once you die, you must repurchase the Resurrection in order to resurrect. Be warned, though: Every time you use one of these Resurrections, the cost increases.
The Armory also contains an office door, but if you purchase the Resurrection from inside that room, the hidden door within the map will become active.
Q: Is there a list of all the Blue Ribbon Challenges?
In-game, you can access your current challenge by using the “Back” or “Select” button, and we’ve also placed all 60 of the challenges below for easy access.
The O.P.S. Zeal
- Wave 1 – Defeat the wave using Sky-Line strikes only
- Wave 2 – Defeat the wave while only taking shield damage
- Wave 3 – Defeat the wave using only the Sky-Hook attacks and Shotgun
- Wave 4 – Defeat the wave using only machine guns or the crank gun
- Wave 5 – Defeat the wave using only the pistol and hand cannon
- Wave 6 – Defeat the wave without picking up weapons or looting corpses
- Wave 7 – Defeat all enemies using only zoomable weapons while they are zoomed
- Wave 8 – Defeat all enemies using only Tears; Possession Traps; and Return to Sender traps
- Wave 9 – Defeat all enemies without ever hitting anyone in the head or the heart
- Wave 10 – Defeat the Siren before she performs a resurrection
- Wave 11 – Defeat the wave without using Sky-Lines or Hook-points.
- Wave 12 – Defeat the wave within 1:15
- Wave 13 – Defeat the wave using only weapons fired from a Sky-Line or Sky-Line strikes.
- Wave 14 – Defeat the wave using only Shock Jockey and Headshots
- Wave 15 – Defeat each enemy with a different Vigor type (until you have used all Vigor types)
Duke and Dimwitt Theater
- Wave 1 - Defeat all enemies with the Shotgun
- Wave 2 – Defeat two enemies with a possessed Patriot
- Wave 3 – Force 3 Firemen to self-destruct while airborne from Bucking Bronco or Undertow
- Wave 4 – Complete the wave in under 0:45
- Wave 5 – Defeat the Handyman while he’s electrocuting a Sky-Line
- Wave 6 – Defeat five enemies with Undertow
- Wave 7 – Defeat 2 enemies with a Possessed rocket turret
- Wave 8 – Defeat every enemy with a different weapon or Vigor
- Wave 9 – Complete the wave using only Charge, Return to Sender, and Shotguns
- Wave 10 - Defeat the Patriot with a possessed enemy
- Wave 11- Defeat all enemies with Vigor traps
- Wave 12 – Defeat 5 enemies with a single Devil’s Kiss blast
- Wave 13 - Defeat the Handyman with a Tesla Coil
- Wave 14 – Complete the wave in under 1:30
- Wave 15 – Defeat an enemy affected by Bucking Bronco with a possessed Motorized Patriot
- Wave 1 – Defeat all enemies with the Sky-Hook melee
- Wave 2 – Defeat all enemies with the pistol
- Wave 3 – Defeat all enemies using only the Undertow Vigor
- Wave 4 – Defeat all enemies with Vigor traps
- Wave 5 – Defeat the Handyman before any other enemy
- Wave 6 – Defeat 5 enemies via friendly fire
- Wave 7 – Defeat the Volley Gunner and the Zealot before damaging any snipers
- Wave 8 – Defeat all enemies with turrets or environmental hazards
- Wave 9 – Defeat all enemies in 30 seconds using Vigors only.
- Wave 10 - Take no damage for 30 seconds.
- Wave 11 – Defeat all enemies with the Shotgun
- Wave 12 - Defeat the wave without picking up weapons or looting corpses
- Wave 13 – Defeat all enemies while they are distracted with a Booker decoy tear
- Wave 14 – Defeat each enemy with the same weapon-type it wields
- Wave 15 – Defeat each enemy with a different weapon
- Wave 1 – Defeat an enemy affected by Bucking Bronco with a possessed Motorized Patriot
- Wave 2 – Defeat two enemies who are riding Sky-Lines with traps
- Wave 3 – Defeat wave with hazards or support brought in through tears
- Wave 4 – Defeat the wave using a different weapon or Vigor on every enemy.
- Wave 5 – Defeat both Handymen while they are electrocuting a Sky-Line
- Wave 6 – Defeat all enemies using only the Shotgun
- Wave 7 – Defeat two enemies with the Fireman’s suicide attack.
- Wave 8 – Defeat the wave with in 1:20
- Wave 9 – Defeat the Siren before destroying the zeppelin
- Wave 10 - Defeat all enemies using only the sniper rifle
- Wave 11 – Defeat all enemies while they are distracted with a Booker decoy tear
- Wave 12 – Defeat all enemies with Bucking Bronco; followed by Charge
- Wave 13 – Defeat each enemy with the same weapon-type it wields.
- Wave 14 – Defeat the handyman with a Motorized Patriot tear
- Wave 15 – Knock 4 corpses off of Columbia before the Siren can resurrect them.