Hey, Civ fans, we’ve worked through some of the kinks and have finally come up with our Civilization V Gameplay Competition!
Without further ado, here are the rules:
- The competition starts today and runs through Monday, May 30.
- All contestants must play on the Mac version and use the provided save game file as their starting point. You can download the save game file HERE. (Update 5/18: A new save game file has been uploaded. Any played games that do not use the new save game file as a starting point will not be counted. We apologize for the initial mistake that required all DLC to be installed.)
- Here are the parameters of the game:
- Leader/Civilization: America
- Map: Earth
- Map size: Small
- Difficulty: Emperor
- Game pace: Standard
- Victory Conditions: Conquest only
- Barbarians enabled
- Saving and reloading mid-game in order to try for a better outcome from a certain action is highly discouraged and not allowed.
- However, contestants may play through a game multiple times (from start to finish) and submit multiple entries. Only the top entry will be considered.
- Important: To submit an entry, email a copy of your completed save game file to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject header “GOTM: Civilization V Competition Submission.” In the email, please include your name, the number of turns you took, and your score. You may provide a screenshot of your Hall of Fame screen if you wish, but it is not required. It is essential that you follow these directions–any entries that are missing any piece of required information WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. (Update 5/24: Hoo, boy. It has come to our attention that the game actually does not end after capturing all cities and that a Conquest victory may actually be technically impossible. To compensate, please save your game just before the final city on the map is taken and submit that file for our review. We apologize (again) for the mix-up. We promise the next competition will run much more smoothly!).
The goal of the competition is to beat the game by conquest in as few turns as possible. In the event of a tie, final scores will be used as a tie-breaker. Obviously, some points of the competition (particularly whether or not you use multiple saves and reloads) cannot be monitored, so we ask all contestants to be on their best behavior and act like benevolent rulers to maintain the integrity of the competition.
We will review the entries and announce the winners
(plural!) on Tuesday, May 31. The runner-up will receive a GameAgent Store coupon good for 50% off any product. The winner will receive a GameAgent Store coupon good for 50% off any product, a Civ Anonymous t-shirt, and
a super secret (and SUPER AWESOME) mystery prize
If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below. Otherwise, good luck to everyone!
*Don’t forget, if you still need to pick up a copy of Civilization V
, you can save 10% at GameAgent.com
when you use the coupon code GOTMCivV
Congratulations to Jim M. who successfully followed the guidelines of the competition and completed his global conquest in the fewest number of turns! Jim has won a GameAgent Store coupon (good for 50% off any product), a Civ Anonymous t-shirt, and that super secret mystery prize–a Sid Meier-signed copy of the Civilization V Special Edition! We also want to recognize both Mark G. and Pablo R., both of whom are runners-up. Finally, a big thanks to everyone that competed and helped us putting this competition together!